Pages

Tuesday 26 January 2016

Giving advice/ making suggestions




formal
semi-formal
     infornal

I strongly advise you
 to seek help. /

You need outside help,
 I’m afraid.


My advice is that  you need help./


I think you’ll have to get outside
  help.

You need help, I tell you /


You can ‘t do it on your
 own.

If I may suggest, you’d
 need to look into this
 more carefully.


I suggest that you (should) look
  into this more carefully.

Look into this more
  carefully.

It’d be in your interest
  not to delay any
  further. /

You oughtn’t to delay
 any further.


You shouldn’t delay any
   further. /


(If I were you,) I shouldn’t delay
 any further.

Don’t delay anymore.

It’d be advisable for
  you to leave now.


I’d advise you to leave now.

You’d ( had better/ had best)
  leave now.

It’d be a good change
 to eat out tonight.

Shall we eat out tonight? /


I suggest we eat out tonight.

What do you say to eating
  out tonight? /

Suppose we eat out tonight. /

How about.../
What about.../
Why don’t we .../
Let’s ... 


You could try his
 home number (landline).


You can try his home number,
  if you like.

Try his home number.


No comments:

Post a Comment